Choosing the best car seat to travel with on planes has never been so easy – this is your ultimate family guide:
Oh, parenthood…nobody could ever deny the joys of being a parent. Whether you are a first-time mum or a dad of five children, parenthood comes with a great deal of joy and responsibility that perhaps you never even imagined you would face when you were single…especially if you were a solo traveller around the world!
So, did you ever imagine you would stop travelling once your baby was born? Or perhaps you are now part of a family that is constantly on the go? Either way, the next question must be asked: Have you ever considered taking your car seat to travel with you on the plane?
A car seat on a plane? Some of you may be asking without really believing it. But did you know that if you are travelling with a baby or a toddler and you decide to take the car seat on the flight then you could end up having a more relaxed, and a better behaved-child? And no, this is not a lie, as we are speaking from first-hand experience.
This could be a life and travel hack-trick that could possibly save you from being stuck in uncomfortable situations with your little one, especially as your baby or toddler will have their own comfy space, they will feel they are ‘’like mum or dad’’ because they have their own seat and you will have free arms and legs to move around a little bit -especially good if you are travelling through considerable long distances.
Choosing the best car seat to travel with on planes has never been so easy – this is your ultimate family guide in terms of the car seat weight, cost and most importantly, how easy it is to be used particularly in the flights you will be boarding.
Find out which car seat will be the best for your trip:
Graco Size4Me 65 Convertible – Featuring Rapid Remove Car Seat Review – Matrix, One size: £.
Graco is a well-established brand that has been an all-time favorite of millions of families worldwide. This car seat is offered in a One size that fits Infants (from 4 Pounds) to Toddlers (up to 65 Pounds). Graco’s car seat offers a Simply Safe Adjust Harness System which means it will make your life easier when setting it up in the plane.
Its seat cushion offers plenty of comfortable space for your child. It also has a cover that is easily removed in case you need to wash it (instead of taking the whole seat out).
Graco’s website: http://www.gracobaby.com/en-US/size4me-65-convertible-car-seat-8am49
The car seat dimensions are also something you need to contemplate when deciding which car seat you are going to buy. This product dimensions are 18.5 x 22 x 23.4 inches, making it a reasonable size to carry around when travelling.
- Very affordable price £.
- The straps adjust easily to your child.
- It offers a removable head support, making your baby more comfortable, which is great when you travel by plane.
- The 5-point, front-adjust harness is easy to put in place.
- The cup holders are far from a six months old arms’ reach.
- Depending on the adult who is carrying this car seat, the seat could be a little bit heavy.
- The bottom clip could be made from a different material, so it could last longer without needing replacement.
- Some of the replacement pieces are difficult to find.
Overall, this car seat proves to be a great value in terms of money investment as it is an affordable option. It has been tested and meets or exceeds all US safety standards and the 5-point harness system is easy enough to be put by anyone.
Safety 1st Grow and GO 3-in-1 Convertible Car Seat Review: ££
Safety 1st is another brand that is sought-after by millions of people, as it offers a wide range of products related to children. ‘’Build to Grow’’ is a 3-in-1 car seat, which allows your child to use it through different stages of your child’s growth.
Build to Grow was designed with your child in mind – this means that you could be using the same car seat if your child weighs 5 pounds up to when your child reaches 100 pounds, making it one of the most reliable car seats in the market in terms of duration.
This car seat has the following dimensions: 24 x 19 x 23.75 inches.
- The variety of colors offered is greater than its competitors.
- You could use the same car seat for a long period of time – it all depends on your child’s weight.
- The car seat is well-made and robust. The best components were used to make this car seat.
- The car seat is a bit heavy.
- Build to Grow is a difficult to install car seat. In fact, even in the video explainer released by the manufacturer, it seems to be hard to install in the car, needless to say on a plane.
- If you have a toddler, he or she might find out how to release all the latches quite easily.
- It’s an expensive car seat, in comparison to others in the market.
Overall, the Build to Grow car seat is a great option for those families who are always on the go and who are looking for a car seat that will be the unique option for their child, that is, from the moment they are born up to when they become a toddler.
Diono Radian R100 All-in-One Convertible Car Seat Review: £££
Even though Diono is fairly a new brand in the market, it has made its name because it offers top-notch car seats that are easy to use, versatile and colorful. Therefore, families who travel a lot often recommend this car seat as it is a great option to take on board.
Diono’s Radian R100 All-in-One convertible car seat is a perfect match for families who are willing to pay a little bit extra for their child’s comfort (thus, the parents’ comfort as well), especially when travelling.
Diono’s website: https://us.diono.com/product/radianr100/
Video Explainer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9so4Zo6dkg
This car seat has the following dimensions: 16 x 17 x 28.5 inches
- The straps feel very firm and are easy to release.
- The car seat is very easy to install, making it a perfect choice when travelling on a plane.
- It is one of the most portable car seats as it folds flat in case you need to store it or travel light.
- It is super easy to fold it and pass it through to the security check-ins at the airports.
- The car seat does not recline.
- It is one of the most expensive options in the market.
- Bear in mind that this car seat is very heavy to carry at all times, this is why they sell you a separate piece of bag to transport the car seat.
- It does not have a cup holder.
Overall, the Diono’s Radian R100 All-in-One convertible car seat is a very comfortable choice if you are travelling long distances with your baby or your toddler, but keep in mind all the extras you would need to buy in order to have a truly comfortable experience (and not break your back!).
Get ready to travel
Moreover, after reviewing the best three choices for car seats it is time to choose the best car seat to travel with on planes.
If you are looking for something valuable (and you are keeping an eye on your wallet) then Graco’s car seat is your best choice. However, if you are solely basing your decision on the amount of comfort you and your child will get when travelling, or if you happen to be a world wanderer then Diono’s Radian car seat is your to go choice. And lastly, if you are looking for a long and stable relationship with your car seat then the Safety 1st option is the best option you will ever choose.
Do remember though that every single family is different, and even more so, every single child is different. Perhaps you have two children and you realize that for the first one Diono’s car seat is great, but your second child isn’t as comfortable in that car seat so the Graco car seat is perfect instead. It is all a trial and error period of time in where all the family members can come together and decide on the best options.
Now you are travelling with a baby or a toddler is not a difficult nor stressful thing to do, especially when you have decided on the perfect car seat for your child. Hopefully, this guide has given you enough information to base your decision on choosing the best car seat to travel with on planes.