There are so many brilliant convertible car seats out there that it can be challenging to begin. As your kid (or kids) grow, you want to make sure that they continuously feel comfortable in their car seats, while still being confident that they’re as safe as possible. Additionally, there’s the cost factor. Many of the convertible car seats out there are rather expensive. But you don’t have to sacrifice value for cost. In this article, we’ve researched the best convertible car seat under $150, so you don’t have to!
Convertible car sears are an essential for any parent. Whether you’re a family that’s always on the go or if you’re investing because the summer holidays are fast approaching, it’s vital that you have a convertible car seat that you know you can rely on. They’re also long-term investments. Convertible car seats get their name from their ability to change from being rear-facing to forward facing, adapting for the changing safety needs of a growing child. As children develop, it’s important for parents to take note of the different safety needs of their children. The American Association of Paediatrics recommends that children should sit rear facing until at least age two. Convertible car seats allow you to move from having a child ride in rear facing position to having them ride in a front-facing position without having to purchase a new car seat! This article has found the three best convertible car seats for under $150. These convertible car seats have been selected according to the following criteria: safety features, age range that can be served, easiness to install, and accessories. These three luck car seats are the Graco Size4Me, Disney APT Mouseketeer, and the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite.
Graco Size4Me Review
The Graco size4me measures 18 x 22 x 23.4 inches, which makes it perfect for children weighing 4 to 65 pounds, which is roughly equivalent to children aged under four. The actual car seat itself weighs 19.3 pounds, making it an average-weight car seat. The seat is recommended to be used in a rear-facing position from 4-40 pounds, and in front facing position from 40 to 65 pounds. The seat features an all-in-one five-point strap harness when it’s in both forward and rear facing mode, allowing for maximum safety. The strap harness has two shoulder harnesses that meet in a central fastening with the three crotch straps. These harness fastenings can be converted into a belt fastening for older children, and they also all fit the safety LATCH requirements. The seat also features the brilliant and highly acclaimed Simply Safe Adjust feature as part of its harness features, which enables parents to adjust the head according to the exact measurements of their child.
- Its innovative design allows it to adapt to children as they grow, making it a sustainable long-term option
- Customizable to fit child’s neck and shoulder area exactly, allowing for maximum protection
- Features EPS foam inside the seat for maximum comfort!
- Side impacted tested in addition to exceeding all applicable Us safety standards
- Selected as an Amazon’s Top Choice
- Available in a range of different colours
- Machine washable seat
- Lightweight seat
- Fulfils all LATCH safety requirements
- Reviews indicate that straps are sometimes difficult to tighten
- Only appropriate for children in the infant to four-year-old only range, which may not meet all the needs of parents and isn’t the widest age range currently available in this price bracket
- Structure of seat doesn’t appear to be as sturdy as higher-price seats, although the seat does still have an excellent safety record
- Reviews also indicate that installation is not always straightforward, and instructions can be confusing
- The size of the seat is a little bulky
- Cover difficult to remove for washing
- No accessories currently available
Age range that can be served: 4/5
Safety features: 4/5
Disney’s Mouseketeer convertible car seat is sure to delight both parents and kids alike. The seat measures 24 x 21.5 x 23 inches, which makes it perfect for smaller vehicles as well as larger ones. It also only weighs 12 pounds, which makes it one of the lighters car seats currently available! Its breathable fabric allows for good temperature control on hot days, and it has a rear facing design that’s idea for younger children. It has adjustable shoulder pads, alongside body inserts for infants to ensure maximum safety. It also features 6 different reclining positions, all of which can be used in a rear facing position. The car seat itself weighs almost 24 pounds, and the harness features have the Simply Safe Adjust feature, which allows you to adjust them to accommodate for children of different sizes, and also feature the LATCH installation system.
- Breathable fabric, allowing for excellent temperature control, especially for hotter days
- Flexible design allows for adjustment to child’s specific size, including removable shoulder pads which are particularly helpful for infants
- Five-point harness for maximum safety
- Handy and easily accessible double cup-holders perfect for bottles and snacks!
- An Amazon top choice and the number one best-selling car seat for infants
- The minimum weight recommended is 5 pounds, which means that the seat can be used right from birth!
- Very easy to install
- Excellent safety record
- Popular accessories include a baby car mirror and seat protector
- Available in both “Minnie” and “Micky” prints
- As the APT Mousekeeteer is only designed to support children that weigh up to 40 pounds, it covers a smaller age-range than some of the other car seats on the market. If your child grows quickly, this might not be the ideal seat for you!
- Reviews indicate that larger children are occasionally able to loosen the straps themselves
- A small number of reviews indicated that the buckles can be very hard to release
- Not machine washable; would have to be hand-wiped down
Age range that can be served: 3/5
Safety features: 4/5
Safety 1st is a highly trusted brand in the world of child transportation, with more than thirty years of experience. Their Alpha Omega Elite seat features an adjustable three-position recline, enabling high quality comfort and nap-time while you’re on the move! The seat also allows for three different modes within one single design; rear facing for children under 40 pounds, front facing for children under 65 pounds, and a belt-positioning boosted seat for up to 100 pounds. It also features a QuickFit headrest which allows for easy harness adjustments, along with moveable arm rests for maximum comfort. The seat has also been testing to ensure excellent side-impact protection.
- Three different modes, allowing children to use the one seat until the weigh over 100lbs, giving it an enormous age range, which is almost unparalleled
- Features an adjustable three-position recline in rear-riding position for the youngest travellers, meaning that nap time can happen anywhere, anytime!
- LATCH belt positioning clip, which allows for the safest harness security
- QuickFit headrest which allows for easy comfort and harness adjustment
- Reviews indicate that the seat is super easy to install, and it features a simple-to-use tether
- Fairly light weight
- Cushions are machine washable
- Accessories currently only include a seat protector
- Very well padded, allowing for maximum comfort
- Available in a wide range of stylish colours
- No cup holders, so sadly your little ones would have to hold their own snacks
- Reviews indicate that the strap can occasionally be tricky to tighten
- Fairly bulky in size, which means that it might not fit all cars
- Although the cupholders are machine-washable, the actual cushions are not, which poses a bit of a problem for long-term cleaning!
- The only accessories currently available are seat protectors
- Installation somewhat difficult
- Arm seats don’t have as much padding as rest of chair
- More expensive models have additional side-protection
Age range that can be served: 5/5
Safety features: 4/5
As an overall solution to the difficulties faced by parents in their quest for the best convertible car seat, the Safety 1st Alpha Omega Elite features the best overall value for cost. It’s high value for cost is especially remarkable when considering the incredible age range it serves. Additionally, thanks to its rigorous safety testing, the lower price tag doesn’t mean that you have to compromise on security. The APT Mouseketeer and Graco Size4Me both also have brilliant security but are only able to cater to children who weigh up to 65 and 40 pounds respectively, which makes them a more limiting option for parents looking to make a long-term investment. One of the key advantages to selecting a convertible car seat over different models is the fact that it will be able to serve your children as they grow. When selecting a car seat model, it’s especially important to pay attention to the age range that the car seat accommodates for, so you can be certain that it fits your needs!
While both the APT Mousekeeter and Graco have received rave reviews from parents and come from respected manufacturers in the industry, the Safety 1st has received the same amount of praise while also standing out for its durability and customizable features. Although all three seats had a certain level of customizable features, the Alpha Omega Elite’s adjustable arm rests and three-stage recline mode puts it on another level. Although yet more customizable features are available with other, more expensive models, the Alpha Omega Elite offers an excellent age range, security record, and customizable ability along with a lower price tag!